Students’ action competence must be taught and developed, particularly for prospective science teachers, to have a pedagogical perspective as environmental educators. As indicated by publications in respected journals, researchers’ focus and alignment on the issue of action competence are highly expected. This systematic literature review aims to compare the findings of research articles published by Web of Science-indexed journals. The keyword used to find the articles on the Web of Science’s database was “action competence,” which discovered 193 publications. Furthermore, 25 articles met the criteria to be analyzed. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analysis was the inclusion and exclusion model used. In the last three years, research focused on action competence has increased. The research employed several methods, i.e., qualitative, quantitative, mixed-methods, and development research. Jelle Boeve-de Pauw and Wanda Sass were the authors who frequently published research that focused on action competence. The keyword action competence was directly associated with environmental education, sustainable development, education-based learning for sustainable development, and evaluation. The authors who published their research with this focus were from 16 countries, mainly from Europe, i.e., Sweden, Belgium, and Denmark. The continent diversity of authors who contributed articles indicated that the action competence issue had become a global concern. Furthermore, it was found that the number of non-collaborating publications (universities or countries) was higher than those collaborating, even though single authors rarely wrote the articles. The recent trend shows that publications are authored by scientists with various backgrounds such as fields, universities, and even countries. The authors of this paper developed and proposed eight ideas to be reflected by prospective science teachers or science teacher education providers in educating future science teachers concerned about action competence about sustainable development.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Article Type: Review Article
EURASIA J Math Sci Tech Ed, 2022, Volume 18, Issue 8, Article No: em2138
Publication date: 16 Jul 2022
Article Views: 1398
Article Downloads: 971Open Access References How to cite this article
- Almers, E. (2013). Pathways to action competence for sustainability–Six themes. Journal of Environmental Education, 44(2), 116-127. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2012.719939
- Ardhi, M. W. (2018). Integrasi green learning dalam pembelajaran biologi untuk mendukung sustainable development goals [Integration of green learning in biology learning to support sustainable development goals]. Prosiding Seminar Nasional Sains dan Entrepeneurship [Proceedings of the National Seminar on Science and Entrepreneurship], V, 14-21.
- Ardoin, N. M., Bowers, A. W., & Gaillard, E. (2020). Environmental education outcomes for conservation: A systematic review. Biological Conservation, 241, 108224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2019.108224
- Arthur, M. (2011). Development of action competence using education for sustainability in a New Zealand school. University of Waikato. https://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/handle/10289/5376
- Arvola, M., Fuchs, I. E., Nyman, I., & Szczepanski, A. (2021). Mobile augmented reality and outdoor education. Built Environment, 47(2), 223–242. https://doi.org/10.2148/BENV.47.2.223
- Aulia, R. (2020). Persepsi mahasiswa calon guru Kimia tentang pendidikan untuk pembangunan berkelanjutan [Chemistry teacher candidate student’s perception about education for sustainable development]. UIN Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta. http://repository.uinjkt.ac.id/dspace/handle/123456789/49987
- Ballantyne, R., Fien, J., & Packer, J. (2001). Intergenerational influence in environmental education: A quantitative analysis. Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 17(3), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0814062600002378
- Bao, H., Wang, C., Han, L., Wu, S., Lou, L., Xu, B., & Liu, Y. (2020). Resources and environmental pressure, carrying capacity, and governance: A case study of Yangtze River Economic Belt. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(4), 1576. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041576
- Baytak, A. (2011). Towards effective instructions in environmental education: A critical review of literature. European Journal of Physics Education, 2(1), 16-22.
- Bellotti, E., Kronegger, L., & Guadalupi, L. (2016). The evolution of research collaboration within and across disciplines in Italian academia. Scientometrics, 109(2), 783-811. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-016-2068-1
- Benítez, F. F., Paredes, M. E. R., Collado-Ruano, J., Terán, E. F. H., & Ibarra, G. D. L. (2019). Environmental education program in Ecuador: Theory, practice, and public policies to face global change in the anthropocene. Ensaio [Rehearsal], 27(105), 859-880. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-40362019002701950
- Bergen, J., & Santo, L. T. (2018). Action competence: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum, 53(3), 358-363. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12248
- Bezeljak, P., Scheuch, M., & Torkar, G. (2020). Understanding of sustainability and education for sustainable development among pre-service biology teachers. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(17), 6892. https://doi.org/10.3390/SU12176892
- Biesta, G. (2009). Good education in an age of measurement: On the need to reconnect with the question of purpose in education. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability, 21(1), 33–46. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11092-008-9064-9
- Birkle, C., Pendlebury, D. A., Schnell, J., & Adams, J. (2020). Web of Science as a data source for research on scientific and scholarly activity. Quantitative Science Studies, 1(1), 363-376. https://doi.org/10.1162/qssa00018
- Biström, E. (2021). Action competence for sustainable sexuality: An analysis of Swedish lower secondary level textbooks in biology and religious education. Sex Education, 00(00), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/14681811.2021.1966408
- Biström, E., & Lundström, R. (2021a). Action competence for gender equality as sustainable development: Analyzing Swedish lower secondary level textbooks in biology, civics, and home and consumer studies. Comparative Education Review, 65(3), 714607. https://doi.org/10.1086/714607
- Biström, E., & Lundström, R. (2021b). Textbooks and action competence for sustainable development: An analysis of Swedish lower secondary level textbooks in geography and biology. Environmental Education Research, 27(2), 279-294. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2020.1853063
- Blythe, C., & Harré, N. (2020). Encouraging transformation and action competence: A theory of change evaluation of a sustainability leadership program for high school students. Journal of Environmental Education, 51(1), 83-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2019.1629381
- Booth, A., Sutton, A., & Papaioannou, D. (2012). Systematic approaches to a successful literature review. SAGE.
- Bourassa, L. (2017). The ripple effect: Youth leadership development and influence on environmental engagement in the community. Wilfrid Laurier University. https://scholars.wlu.ca/etd/1929
- Breiting, S., & Mogensen, F. (1999). Action competence and environmental education. Cambridge Journal of Education, 29(3), 349-353. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305764990290305
- Breiting, S., Hedegaard, K., Mogensen, F., Nielsen, K., & Schnack, K. (1999). Action competence, conflicting interests and environmental education. Research Programme for Environmental and Health Education, DPU, Aarhus University. https://www.dpu.dk/fileadmin/www.dpu.dk/en/research/researchprogrammes/environmentalandhealtheducation/forskning_miljoe-og-sundhedspaedagogik_20090707140335_action-competence-muvin.pdf
- Brødsgaard, A., Wagner, L., Peitersen, B., & Poulsen, I. (2013). Action competence obstacles to managing childhood overweight: In-depth interviews with mothers of 7- to 9-year-old children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 28(5), 453-463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2013.02.024
- Bubriski, K., Debebe, E., Isaac, J., Noy, F., Perret, M., Schneider, E., & Sudhakaran, P. (2008). Achieving sustainable development and promoting development cooperation. United Nations. https://www.un.org/en/ecosoc/docs/pdfs/fina_08-45773.pdf
- Burbules, N. C., Fan, G., & Repp, P. (2020). Five trends of education and technology in a sustainable future. Geography and Sustainability, 1(2), 93-97. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geosus.2020.05.001
- Burmeister, M., & Eilks, I. (2013). An understanding of sustainability and education for sustainable development among German student teachers and trainee teachers of chemistry. Science Education International, 24(2), 167-194. https://doi.org/10.1039/C2RP20137B
- Carlsson, M., & Simovska, V. (2012). Exploring learning outcomes of school-based health promotion–A multiple case study. Health Education Research, 27(3), 437-447. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cys011
- Cars, M., & West, E. E. (2015). Education for sustainable society: attainments and good practices in Sweden during the United Nations Decade for Education for Sustainable Development (UNDESD). Environment, Development and Sustainability, 17(1), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-014-9537-6
- Chankseliani, M., & McCowan, T. (2021). Higher education and the sustainable development goals. Higher Education, 81(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-020-00652-w
- Chen, S. Y., & Liu, S. Y. (2020). Developing students’ action competence for a sustainable future: A review of educational research. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(4), 1374. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041374
- Chisingui, A. V., & Costa, N. (2020). Teacher education and sustainable development goals: A case study with future biology teachers in an Angolan higher education institution. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(8), 3344. https://doi.org/10.3390/SU12083344
- Cincera, J., & Krajhanzl, J. (2013). Eco-schools: What factors influence pupils’ action competence for pro-environmental behaviour? Journal of Cleaner Production, 61, 117-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.06.030
- Clark, C. R. (2016). Collective action competence: An asset to campus sustainability. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, 17(4), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSHE-04-2015-0073
- Conde, M. del C., & Sánchez, J. S. (2010). The school curriculum and environmental education: A school environmental audit experience. International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, 5(4), 477-494.
- Darling-Hammond, L., Flook, L., Cook-Harvey, C., Barron, B., & Osher, D. (2020). Implications for educational practice of the science of learning and development. Applied Developmental Science, 24(2), 97-140. https://doi.org/10.1080/10888691.2018.1537791
- Dayagbil, F. T., Palompon, D. R., Garcia, L. L., & Olvido, M. M. J. (2021). Teaching and learning continuity amid and beyond the pandemic. Frontiers in Education, 6(July), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.3389/feduc.2021.678692
- Díaz-Noguera, M. D., Hervás-Gómez, C., & De-La-Calle, A. M. (2020). Professional action competences through experiences with augmented reality. Journal of Turkish Science Education, 16(4), 554-568. https://doi.org/10.36681/tused.2020.7
- Dittmer, L., Mugagga, F., Metternich, A., Schweizer-Ries, P., Asiimwe, G., & Riemer, M. (2018). “We can keep the fire burning”: Building action competence through environmental justice education in Uganda and Germany. Local Environment, 23(2), 144-157. https://doi.org/10.1080/13549839.2017.1391188
- Ducasse, J. (2020). Augmented reality for outdoor environmental education. In V. Geroimenko (Ed.), Augmented reality in education (pp. 329-352). Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-42156-4_17
- Eames, C. (2010). A framework for developing action competence in education for sustainability (EfS). Teaching & Learning Research Iniative. http://www.tlri.org.nz/sites/default/files/projects/9245_Appendix%20F.pdf
- Eames, C., Law, B., Barker, M., Iles, H., Mckenzie, J., Patterson, R., Williams, P., & Wilson-Hill, F. (2006). Investigating teachers’ pedagogical approaches in environmental education that promote students’ action competence. Education. Teaching & Learning Reserach Iniative. http://www.tlri.org.nz/tlri-research/research-completed/school-sector/investigating-teachers%E2%80%99-pedagogical-approaches
- Eberle, J., Stegmann, K., Barrat, A., Fischer, F., & Lund, K. (2021). Initiating scientific collaborations across career levels and disciplines–A network analysis on behavioral data. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, 16, 151-184. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11412-021-09345-7
- Edsand, H. E., & Broich, T. (2020). The impact of environmental education on environmental and renewable energy technology awareness: Empirical evidence from Colombia. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 18(4), 611-634. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-019-09988-x
- Erlina, N. (2021). Kesiapan calon guru IPA dalam pengembangan rencana pembelajaran berbasis education for sustainable development [Readiness of prospective science teachers in developing learning plans based on education for sustainable development]. Jurnal Pendidikan dan Pembelajaran Sains Indonesia [Indonesian Journal of Science Education and Learning], 4(2), 142-150.
- Ferrante, C. A. (2012). A case study of inclusion and diversity: A whole school approach using the social model of disability [PhD thesis, University of Northumbria].
- Filho, W. L., Raath, S., Lazzarini, B., Vargas, V. R., de Souza, L., Anholon, R., Quelhas, O. L. G., Haddad, R., Klavins, M., & Orlovic, V. L. (2018). The role of transformation in learning and education for sustainability. Journal of Cleaner Production, 199, 286-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.07.017
- Firdaus, L. N., Wulandari, S., & Ahmad, D. (2016). Desain pembelajaran berbasis pedagogi hijau bagi mahasiswa calon guru biologi FKIP Universitas Riau [Green pedagogy-based learning design for prospective biology teacher students, FKIP University of Riau]. Jurnal Pedagogi Hayati [Journal of Life Pedagogy], 1(1), 11-18.
- Fonseca, L. M., Domingues, J. P., & Dima, A. M. (2020). Mapping the sustainable development goals relationships. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(8), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.3390/SU12083359
- Frassl, M. A., Hamilton, D. P., Denfeld, B. A., de Eyto, E., Hampton, S. E., Keller, P. S., Sharma, S., Lewis, A. S. L., Weyhenmeyer, G. A., O’Reilly, C. M., Lofton, M. E., & Catalán, N. (2018). Ten simple rules for collaboratively writing a multi-authored paper. PLoS Computational Biology, 14(11), 6-13. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pcbi.1006508
- Freeling, B. S., Doubleday, Z. A., Dry, M. J., Semmler, C., & Connell, S. D. (2021). Better writing in scientific publications builds reader confidence and understanding. Frontiers in Psychology, 12(August), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.714321
- Gallagher, K. E., Kadokura, E., Eckert, L. O., Miyake, S., Mounier-Jack, S., Aldea, M., Ross, D. A., & Watson-Jones, D. (2016). Factors influencing completion of multi-dose vaccine schedules in adolescents: A systematic review. BMC Public Health, 16(1), 172. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-2845-z
- García, E. G., Magaña, E. C., & Ariza, A. C. (2020). Quality education as a sustainable development goal in the context of 2030 agenda: Bibliometric approach. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(15), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.3390/SU12155884
- García-Carrión, R., López de Aguileta, G., Padrós, M., & Ramis-Salas, M. (2020). Implications for social impact of dialogic teaching and learning. Frontiers in Psychology, 11(February), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.00140
- González, R. de M., & Sebastián-López, M. (2022). Education on sustainable development goals: Geographical perspectives for gender equality in sustainable cities and communities. Sustainability, 14(4042), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14074042
- Hedefalk, M., Almqvist, J., & Lidar, M. (2014). Teaching for action competence. SAGE Open, 4(3), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/2158244014543785
- Hillbur, P., Ideland, M., & Malmberg, C. (2016). Response and responsibility: Fabrication of the eco-certified citizen in Swedish curricula 1962-2011. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 48(3), 409-426. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220272.2015.1126358
- Huh, J. R., Park, I. J., Sunwoo, Y., Choi, H. J., & Bhang, K. J. (2020). Augmented reality (AR)-based intervention to enhance awareness of fine dust in sustainable environments. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(23), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12239874
- Hurst, B., Wallace, R., & Nixon, S. B. (2013). The impact of social interaction on student learning. Reading Horizons: A Journal of Literacy and Language Arts, 52(4), 375-398. https://doi.org/10.1080/15534510601154413
- Husamah, H., Suwono, H., Nur, H., & Dharmawan, A. (2022). Sustainable development research in Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education: A systematic literature review. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(5), em2103. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/11965
- Ikhsan, F. A., Kurnianto, F. A., Apriyanto, B., Nurdin, E. A., & Puji, R. P. N. (2019). The research based learning approach in environmental education. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 243(1), 012029. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/243/1/012029
- Ilma, S., & Wijarini, F. (2017). Developing of environmental education textbook based on local potencies. JPBI (Jurnal Pendidikan Biologi Indonesia), 3(3), 194-201. https://doi.org/10.22219/jpbi.v3i3.4540
- Isac, M. M., Sass, W., Pauw, J. B. De, De Maeyer, S., Schelfhout, W., Van Petegem, P., & Claes, E. (2022). Differences in teachers’ professional action competence in education for sustainable development: the importance of teacher co-learning. Sustainability (Switzerland), 14(2), 767. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14020767
- Jensen, B. B., & Schnack, K. (1997). The action competence approach in environmental education. Environmental Education Research, 3(2), 163-178. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350462970030205
- Jensen, B. B., & Schnack, K. (2006). The action competence approach in environmental education: Reprinted from Environmental Education Research (1997) 3(2), pp. 163-178. Environmental Education Research, 12(3-4), 471-486. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504620600943053
- Jensen, N. R. (2013). Action competence-a new trial aimed at social innovation in residential homes? European Journal of Social Work, 16(1), 120-136. https://doi.org/10.1080/13691457.2012.722980
- Jumrodah, Liliasari, Adisendjaja, Y. H., & Sanjaya, Y. (2021). Keterampilan berpikir kreatif mahasiswa calon guru biologi pada konsep biota laut menuju pembangunan berkelanjutan melalui pembelajaran berbasis proyek [Creative thinking skills of prospective biology teacher students on the concept of marine life towards sustainable development through project-based learning]. Jurnal Pendidikan Sains dan Matematika [Journal of Science and Mathematics Education], 9(1), 98-106. https://doi.org/10.23971/eds.v9i1.2993
- Keller, L. (2020). Still searching for (education for) sustainable development–Reflections on the need, challenges, and chances of transforming education in the 21st century. Jurnal Pendidikan Geografi [Journal of Geography Education], 25(2), 179-192. https://doi.org/10.17977/um017v25i22020p179
- Keselman, A., Levin, D. M., Kramer, J. F., Matzkin, K., & Dutcher, G. (2011). Educating young people about environmental health for informed social action. Umw Gesundh Online, 4(December 2010), 1-8.
- Kimaryo, L. A. (2011). Integrating environmental education in primary school education in Tanzania: Teachers’ perceptions and teaching practices. Åbo Akademi University Press.
- Klein, J. D., & Richey, R. C. (2007). Design and development research: Methods, strategies and issues. Routledge.
- Kurniati, E., Suwono, H., Ibrohim, I., Suryadi, A., & Saefi, M. (2022). International scientific collaboration and research Topics on STEM education: A systematic review. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(4), em2095. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/11903
- Kurt, A. A., Akbulut, Y., Odabasi, H. F., Ceylan, B., Kuzu, E. B., Donmez, O., & Izmirli, O. S. (2013). Factors motivating and hindering information and communication technologies. Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry, 4(January), 34-46.
- Kusakabe, E. (2013). Advancing sustainable development at the local level: The case of machizukuri in Japanese cities. Progress in Planning, 80, 1-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progress.2012.06.001
- Kwee, C. T. T. (2021). I want to teach sustainable development in my English classroom: A case study of incorporating sustainable development goals in English teaching. Sustainability (Switzerland), 13(8), 4195. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13084195
- Li, K., Rollins, J., & Yan, E. (2018). Web of Science use in published research and review papers 1997-2017: A selective, dynamic, cross-domain, content-based analysis. Scientometrics, 115(1), 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-017-2622-5
- Loeng, S. (2020). Self-directed learning: A core concept in adult education. Education Research International, 2020(3816132), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/3816132
- Lohmann, J., Breithecker, J., Ohl, U., Gieß-Stüber, P., & Brandl-Bredenbeck, H. P. (2021). Teachers’ professional action competence in education for sustainable development: A systematic review from the perspective of physical education. Sustainability (Switzerland), 13(23), 13343. https://doi.org/10.3390/su132313343
- Marpa, E. (2020). Navigating environmental education practices to promote environmental awareness and education. International Journal on Studies in Education, 2(1), 45-57. https://doi.org/10.46328/ijonse.8
- Mensah, J. (2019). Sustainable development: Meaning, history, principles, pillars, and implications for human action: Literature review. Cogent Social Sciences, 5(1), 1653531. https://doi.org/10.1080/23311886.2019.1653531
- Messerli, P., & Murniningtyas, E. (2019). Global sustainable development report 2019: The future is now–Science for achieving sustainable development. Independent Group of Scientists. United Nations. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/24797GSDR_report_2019.pdf
- Ministry for Education. (2015). Action competence learning process. http://health.tki.org.nz/Key-collections/Curriculum-in-action/Making-Meaning/Teaching-and-learning-approaches/Action-competence-learning-process
- Mogensen, F. (1997). Critical thinking: A central element in developing action competence in health and environmental education. Health Education Research, 12(4), 429-436. https://doi.org/10.1093/her/12.4.429
- Mogensen, F., & Schnack, K. (2010). The action competence approach and the “new” discourses of education for sustainable development, competence and quality criteria. Environmental Education Research, 16(1), 59-74. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504620903504032
- Mpungose, C. B. (2020). Emergent transition from face-to-face to online learning in a South African University in the context of the coronavirus pandemic. Humanities and Social Sciences Communications, 7(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-020-00603-x
- Nielsen, W., Andersen, P., Hurley, A., Sabljak, V., Petereit, A.-L., Hoskin, V., & Hoban, G. (2012). Preparing action competent environmental educators. Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 28(2), 92-107. https://doi.org/10.1017/aee.2013.3
- Novidsa, I., Purwianingsih, W., & Riandi, R. (2020). Exploring knowledge of prospective biology teacher about education for sustainable development. JPBI (Jurnal Pendidikan Biologi Indonesia), 6(2), 317-326. https://doi.org/10.22219/jpbi.v6i2.12212
- Nugroho, O. F., Permanasari, A., & Firman, H. (2021). Persepsi dan praktik pendidikan keberlanjutan di Indonesia untuk education for sustainability development (ESD) selama pandemi COVID-19 [Perceptions and practices of sustainability education in Indonesia for education for sustainability development (ESD) during the COVID-19 pandemic]. Eduscience: Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan [Eduscience: Journal of Educational Science], 7(1), 45-51.
- Nurwidodo, N., Amin, M., Ibrohim, I., & Sueb, S. (2020). The role of eco-school program (adiwiyata) towards environmental literacy of high school students. European Journal of Educational Research, 9(3), 1089-1103. https://doi.org/10.12973/eu-jer.9.3.1089
- Oguz, A., Fortner, R., Adadan, E., Gay, K., Kim, C. K., Yalcinoglu, P., Bektasli, B., Cook-Hoggarth, K. L., McDonald, C., Mishler, K., & Manzo, L. (2004). A look at environmental education through science teachers` perspectives and textbooks` coverage. In Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the School Science and Mathematics Association.
- Oliver, S. K., Fergus, C. E., Skaff, N. K., Wagner, T., Tan, P. N., Cheruvelil, K. S., & Soranno, P. A. (2018). Strategies for effective collaborative manuscript development in interdisciplinary science teams. Ecosphere, 9(4), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1002/ecs2.2206
- Olsson, D., Gericke, N., & Boeve-de Pauw, J. (2022). The effectiveness of education for sustainable development revisited–a longitudinal study on secondary students’ action competence for sustainability. Environmental Education Research, 0(0), 1-25. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2022.2033170
- Olsson, D., Gericke, N., & Chang Rundgren, S. N. (2016). The effect of implementation of education for sustainable development in Swedish compulsory schools–assessing pupils’ sustainability consciousness. Environmental Education Research, 22(2), 176-202. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2015.1005057
- Olsson, D., Gericke, N., Sass, W., & Boeve-de Pauw, J. (2020). Self-perceived action competence for sustainability: The theoretical grounding and empirical validation of a novel research instrument. Environmental Education Research, 26(5), 742-760. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2020.1736991
- Pedro, Á. S., & Pedro, V. M. (2010). Developing sustainable environmental behavior in secondary education students (12-16): Analysis of a didactic strategy. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2(2), 3568-3574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.03.553
- Peffer, M., & Renken, M. (2016). Practical strategies for collaboration across discipline-based education research and the learning sciences. CBE Life Sciences Education, 15(4), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.15-12-0252
- Piasentin, F. B., & Roberts, L. (2018). What elements in a sustainability course contribute to paradigm change and action competence? A study at Lincoln University, New Zealand. Environmental Education Research, 24(5), 694-715. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2017.1321735
- Pranckute, R. (2021). Web of Science (WoS) and Scopus: The titans of bibliographic information in today’s academic world. Publications, 9(12), 1-59. https://doi.org/10.3390/publications9010012
- Purvis, B., Mao, Y., & Robinson, D. (2019). Three pillars of sustainability: In search of conceptual origins. Sustainability Science, 14(3), 681-695. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11625-018-0627-5
- Reddy, C. (2021). Environmental education, social justice and teacher education: Enabling meaningful environmental learning in local contexts. South African Journal of Higher Education, 35(1), 161-177. https://doi.org/10.20853/35-1-4427
- Ribeiro, R. A. (2012). Sustainable development: an ecological economics perspective. Estudos Avancados [Advanced Studies], 26(74), 65-92. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-40142012000100006
- Richey, R. C. (1994). Developmental research: The definition and scope. In Proceedings of the 1994 National Convention of the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (pp. 714–720).
- Robertson, J. (2017). Health promotion as an underlying concept in health education professional learning and development resource. New Zealand Health Education Association. https://healtheducation.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/8-nzhea-position-statement_health-promotion-in-hed_sept_2017.pdf
- Ruge, D., Nielsen, M. K., Mikkelsen, B. E., & Bruun-Jensen, B. (2016). Examining participation in relation to students’ development of health-related action competence in a school food setting: LOMA case study. Health Education, 116(1), 69-85. https://doi.org/10.1108/HE-08-2014-0087
- Sánchez, W. G. V., & Arias, E. A. A. (2021). Effects of the didactic model of game action competences on tactical performance, motivation, and perception of skill in young football players. Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 21(6), 3556-3568. https://doi.org/10.7752/jpes.2021.06481
- Sass, W., Boeve-de Pauw, J., Olsson, D., Gericke, N., De Maeyer, S., & Van Petegem, P. (2020). Redefining action competence: The case of sustainable development. Journal of Environmental Education, 51(4), 292-305. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2020.1765132
- Sass, W., Claes, E., Pauw, J. B. de, De Maeyer, S., Schelfhout, W., Van Petegem, P., & Isac, M. M. (2022). Measuring professional action competence in education for sustainable development (PACesd). Environmental Education Research, 28(2), 260-275. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2021.1976731
- Sass, W., De Maeyer, S., Boeve-de Pauw, J., & Van Petegem, P. (2022). Honing action competence in sustainable development: What happens in classrooms matters? Environment, Development and Sustainability, 0123456789, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-022-02195-9
- Sass, W., Pauw, J. B. de, Maeyer, S. De, & Petegem, P. Van. (2021). Development and validation of an instrument for measuring action competence in sustainable development within early adolescents: The action competence in sustainable development questionnaire (ACiSD-Q). Environmental Education Research, 27(9), 1284-1304. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2021.1888887
- Shutaleva, A., Nikonova, Z., Savchenko, I., & Martyushev, N. (2020). Environmental education for sustainable development in Russia. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(18), 1-26. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12187742
- Silo, N. (2013). Dialogue-Missing in action competence: A cultural historical activity theory approach in a Botswana school. Journal of Environmental Education, 44(3), 159-179. https://doi.org/10.1080/00958964.2012.742033
- Silo, N., & Mswela, N. (2016). Creating healthy school environments through children–an action competence approach. European Journal of Education Studies, 2(6), 46-62. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.159533
- Snyder, H. (2019). Literature review as a research methodology: An overview and guidelines. Journal of Business Research, 104(July), 333-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.07.039
- Svalfors, U. (2017). Education for sustainable development and multidimensional implementation. A study of implementations of sustainable development in education with the curriculum of upper secondary school in Sweden as an example. Discourse and Communication for Sustainable Education, 8(2), 114-126. https://doi.org/10.1515/dcse-2017-0020
- Teaching and Learning Research Initiative. (2010). A framework for developing action competence in EfS (C. Crown (ed.)). TLRI.
- Thor, D., & Karlsudd, P. (2020). Teaching and fostering an active environmental awareness design, validation and planning for action-oriented environmental education. Sustainability (Switzerland), 12(8), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.3390/SU12083209
- Torkar, G. (2014). Learning experiences that produce environmentally active and informed minds. NJAS-Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences, 69, 49-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.njas.2014.03.002
- UNESCO. (2021). Reimagining a new social our futures contract for together education. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000379707.locale=en
- Universiteir Utrecht. (2022). Dr. J.N.A. (Jelle) Boeve-de Pauw. https://www.uu.nl/staff/JNABoevedePauw
- University of Antwerp. (2022). About Wanda Sass. https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/staff/wanda-sass/
- Uzzi, B., Mukherjee, S., Stringer, M., & Jones, B. (2013). Atypical combinations and scientific impact. Science, 342(6157), 468-472. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1240474
- van Poeck, K., & Vandenabeele, J. (2012). Learning from sustainable development: Education in the light of public issues. Environmental Education Research, 18(4), 541-552. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2011.633162
- Verma, G., & Dhull, P. (2017). Environmental education as a subject in schools. International Journal of Advanced Research, 5(8), 1547-1552. https://doi.org/10.21474/ijar01/5214
- Vicencio, M. A. A. (2012). Dialogue based strategies in the teaching of environmental education in Baja California Sur, Mexico (Issue September) [PhD thesis, University of York].
- Wals, A. E. J., & Kieft, G. (2010). Education for sustainable development: Research overview. Sida.
- Wibowo, Y. G., & Sadikin, A. (2019). Biology in the 21st-century: Transformation in biology science and education in supporting the sustainable development goals. JPBI (Jurnal Pendidikan Biologi Indonesia), 5(2), 285-296. https://doi.org/10.22219/jpbi.v5i2.7956
- Xiao, Y., & Watson, M. (2019). Guidance on conducting a systematic literature review. Journal of Planning Education and Research, 39(1), 93-112. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X17723971
- Yeşilyurt, M., Balakoğlu, M. Ö., & Erol, M. (2020). The impact of environmental education activities on primary school students’ environmental awareness and visual expressions. Qualitative Research in Education, 9(2), 188-216. https://doi.org/10.17583/qre.2020.5115
- Yuan, X., Yu, L., Wu, H., She, H., Luo, J., & Li, X. (2022). Sustainable development goals (SDGs) priorities of senior high school students and global public: Recommendations for implementing education for sustainable development (ESD). Education Research International, 2022(2555168), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/2555168
- Zhan, Y., He, R., & So, W. W. M. (2019). Developing elementary school children’s water conversation action competence: A case study in China. International Journal of Early Years Education, 27(3), 287-305. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669760.2018.1548346
How to cite this article
Husamah, H., Suwono, H., Nur, H., & Dharmawan, A. (2022). Action competencies for sustainability and its implications to environmental education for prospective science teachers: A systematic literature review. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(8), em2138. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12235
Husamah H, Suwono H, Nur H, Dharmawan A. Action competencies for sustainability and its implications to environmental education for prospective science teachers: A systematic literature review. EURASIA J Math Sci Tech Ed. 2022;18(8):em2138. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12235
Husamah H, Suwono H, Nur H, Dharmawan A. Action competencies for sustainability and its implications to environmental education for prospective science teachers: A systematic literature review. EURASIA J Math Sci Tech Ed. 2022;18(8), em2138. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12235
Husamah, H., Hadi Suwono, Hadi Nur, and Agus Dharmawan. "Action competencies for sustainability and its implications to environmental education for prospective science teachers: A systematic literature review". Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education 2022 18 no. 8 (2022): em2138. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12235
Husamah, H., Suwono, H., Nur, H., and Dharmawan, A. (2022). Action competencies for sustainability and its implications to environmental education for prospective science teachers: A systematic literature review. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(8), em2138. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12235
Husamah, H. et al. "Action competencies for sustainability and its implications to environmental education for prospective science teachers: A systematic literature review". Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, vol. 18, no. 8, 2022, em2138. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12235