The digitalization system that continues to roll has brought changes to the learning system, where face-to-face learning is replaced by an online system. On the one hand, learning experiences to acquire critical thinking (CT) skills as one of the essential skills of the 21st century must also be encouraged. The objective of this study is to assess students’ CT skills in terms of cognitive style by implementing the problem-based e-learning (e-PBL) model in mathematics courses. This study is an evaluative study with an experimental approach, where as many as 28 students as research samples were taken purposively from Mandalika University of Education, Indonesia. A set of instruments was prepared to measure every aspect of CT and cognitive style, including descriptive and statistical data analysis so that the results of the CT assessment were found. In general, the results of the CT evaluation show that e-PBL is effective in improving students’ CT skills, so this is a recommendation to use e-PBL widely and intensively.
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Aini, N. R., Syafril, S., Netriwati, N., Pahrudin, A., Rahayu, T., & Puspasari, V. (2019). Problem-based learning for critical thinking skills in mathematics. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1155, 012026. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1155/1/012026
- Akker, J. V. D., Bannan, B., Kelly, A. E., Nieveen, N., & Plomp, T. (2013). Educational design research: An introduction. Netherlands Institute for Curriculum Development (SLO).
- Altun, A., & Cakan, M. (2006). Undergraduate students’ academic achievement, field dependent/independent cognitive styles and attitude toward computers. Educational Technology & Society, 9(1), 289-297.
- Animasaun, I. L., & Abegunrin, O. A. (2017). Gender difference, self-efficacy, active learning strategies and academic achievement of undergraduate students in the Department of Mathematical Sciences, Federal University of Technology, Akure, Nigeria. International Journal of Teaching and Case Studies, 8(4), 255. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJTCS.2017.088929
- Arends, R. (2012). Learning to teach (9th ed). McGraw-Hill.
- Arifin, S., Setyosari, P., Sa’dijah, C., & Kuswandi, D. (2020). The effect of problem based learning by cognitive style on critical thinking skills and student retention. Journal of Technology and Science Education, 10(2), 271. https://doi.org/10.3926/jotse.790
- Armstrong, S. J., Cools, E., & Sadler-Smith, E. (2012). Role of cognitive styles in business and management: Reviewing 40 years of research. International Journal of Management Reviews, 14(3), 238-262. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2011.00315.x
- Ayalon, M., & Hershkowitz, R. (2018). Mathematics teachers’ attention to potential classroom situations of argumentation. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 49, 163-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmathb.2017.11.010
- Bezanilla, M. J., Fernández-Nogueira, D., Poblete, M., & Galindo-Domínguez, H. (2019). Methodologies for teaching-learning critical thinking in higher education: The teacher’s view. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 33, 100584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2019.100584
- Calkins, S., Grannan, S., & Siefken, J. (2020). Using peer-assisted reflection in math to foster critical thinking and communication skills. PRIMUS, 30(4), 475-499. https://doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2019.1608608
- Cassano, R., Costa, V., & Fornasari, T. (2019). An effective national evaluation system of schools for sustainable development: A comparative European analysis. Sustainability, 11(1), 195. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11010195
- Choon-Eng Gwee, M. (2008). Globalization of Problem-based Learning (PBL): Cross-cultural implications. The Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences, 24(3), S14-S22. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1607-551X(08)70089-5
- Cronbach, L. J., & Meehl, P. E. (1955). Construct validity in psychological tests. Psychological Bulletin, 52(4), 281-302. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0040957
- D’Alessio, F. A., Avolio, B. E., & Charles, V. (2019). Studying the impact of critical thinking on the academic performance of executive MBA students. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 31, 275-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2019.02.002
- de Jong, N., Krumeich, J. S. M., & Verstegen, D. M. L. (2017). To what extent can PBL principles be applied in blended learning: Lessons learned from health master programs. Medical Teacher, 39(2), 203-211. https://doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2016.1248915
- Dekker, T. J. (2020). Teaching critical thinking through engagement with multiplicity. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 37, 100701. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2020.100701
- Dennis, J., & O’Hair, M. J. (2010). Overcoming obstacles in using authentic instruction: A comparative case study of high school math & science teachers. American Secondary Education, 38(2), 4-22.
- Dewey, J. (1933). How we think: A restatement of the relation of reflective thinking to the educative process. D.C. Heath & Co Publishers.
- Dogruer, S. S., & Akyuz, D. (2020). Mathematical practices of eighth graders about 3D shapes in an argumentation, technology, and design-based classroom environment. International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, 18(8), 1485-1505. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10763-019-10028-x
- Dolapcioglu, S., & Doğanay, A. (2020). Development of critical thinking in mathematics classes via authentic learning: An action research. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 0(0), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020739X.2020.1819573
- Dwyer, C. P., Hogan, M. J., & Stewart, I. (2014). An integrated critical thinking framework for the 21st century. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 12, 43-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2013.12.004
- Elder, L., & Paul, R. (2012). The thinker’s guide to intellectual standards: The words that name them and the criteria that define them. Foundation for Critical Thinking Press.
- Emmer, E. T., & Millett, G. B. (1970). Improving teaching through experimentation: A laboratory approach. Prentice-Hall.
- Ennis, R. (2018). Critical thinking across the curriculum: A vision. Topoi, 37(1), 165-184.
- Ennis, R. H. (2011). The nature of critical thinking: An outline of critical thinking dispositions and abilities. Inquiry: Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines, 26(2), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5840/inquiryctnews201126214
- Erikson, M. G., & Erikson, M. (2019). Learning outcomes and critical thinking - good intentions in conflict. Studies in Higher Education, 44(12), 2293-2303. https://doi.org/10.1080/03075079.2018.1486813
- Evendi, E., & Verawati, N. N. S. P. (2021). Evaluation of student learning outcomes in problem-based learning: Study of its implementation and reflection of successful factors. Jurnal Penelitian Pendidikan IPA, 7(SpecialIssue), 69-76. https://doi.org/10.29303/jppipa.v7iSpecialIssue.1099
- Festiawan, R. (2021). The Problem-Based Learning: How the effect on student critical thinking ability and learning motivation in COVID-19 pandemic? Journal of Sport Area, 6(2), 231-243.
- Firdaus, F., Kailani, I., Bakar, M. N. B., & Bakry, B. (2015). Developing critical thinking skills of students in mathematics learning. Journal of Education and Learning, 9(3), 226-236.
- Frye, A. W., & Hemmer, P. A. (2012). Program evaluation models and related theories: AMEE Guide No. 67. Medical Teacher, 34(5), e288-e299. https://doi.org/10.3109/0142159X.2012.668637
- Fukuzawa, S., Boyd, C., & Cahn, J. (2017). Student motivation in response to Problem-Based Learning. Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching, 10, 175-187.
- George, B., Desmidt, S., Cools, E., & Prinzie, A. (2018). Cognitive styles, user acceptance and commitment to strategic plans in public organizations: An empirical analysis. Public Management Review, 20(3), 340-359. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719037.2017.1285112
- Ghanizadeh, A. (2017). The interplay between reflective thinking, critical thinking, self-monitoring, and academic achievement in higher education. Higher Education, 74(1), 101-114. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-016-0031-y
- Gilmanshina, S., Smirnov, S., Ibatova, A., & Berechikidze, I. (2021). The assessment of critical thinking skills of gifted children before and after taking a critical thinking development course. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 39, 100780. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2020.100780
- Güner, P., & Gökçe, S. (2021). Linking critical thinking disposition, cognitive flexibility and achievement: Math anxiety’s mediating role. The Journal of Educational Research, 114(5), 458-473. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220671.2021.1975618
- Hake, R., R. (1999). Analyzing change/gain scores. Indiana University: Woodland Hills, CA - USA.
- Harun, N. F., Yusof, K. M., Jamaludin, M. Z., & Hassan, S. A. H. S. (2012). Motivation in Problem-based Learning Implementation. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 56, 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2012.09.650
- Hung, W. (2011). Theory to reality: A few issues in implementing problem-based learning. Educational Technology Research and Development, 59(4), 529-552. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-011-9198-1
- Karmina, S., Dyson, B., Watson, P., & Philpot, R. (2021). Teacher implementation of cooperative learning in Indonesia: A multiple case study. Education Sciences, 11(5), 218. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci11050218
- Katz, B. P. (2021). Curated collection: Assessment. PRIMUS, 0(0), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/10511970.2021.1879333
- Kirkpatrick, D. (1996). Great ideas revisited: Revisiting Kirkpatrick’s four-level model. Training & Development, 50, 54-57.
- Krishnan, S., Gabb, R., & Vale, C. (2011). Learning Cultures of Problem-Based Learning Teams. Australasian Journal of Engineering Education, 17(2), 67-78. https://doi.org/10.1080/22054952.2011.11464057
- Kroll, A. (2014). Why performance information use varies among public managers: Testing manager-related explanations. International Public Management Journal, 17(2), 174-201. https://doi.org/10.1080/10967494.2014.905409
- Kumar, M., & Natarajan, U. (2007). A problem-based learning model: Showcasing an educational paradigm shift. The Curriculum Journal, 18(1), 89-102. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585170701292216
- LaForce, M., Noble, E., & Blackwell, C. (2017). Problem-Based Learning (PBL) and student interest in STEM careers: The roles of motivation and ability beliefs. Education Sciences, 7(4), 92. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci7040092
- Lee, C., & de Vries, W. T. (2019). Sustaining a culture of excellence: Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Land Management. Sustainability, 11(12), 3280. https://doi.org/10.3390/su11123280
- Li, H.-C., & Tsai, T.-L. (2017). The implementation of problem-based learning in a Taiwanese primary mathematics classroom: Lessons learned from the students’ side of the story. Educational Studies, 43(3), 354-369. https://doi.org/10.1080/03055698.2016.1277138
- Luo, Y.-J. (2019). The influence of problem-based learning on learning effectiveness in students’ of varying learning abilities within physical education. Innovations in Education and Teaching International, 56(1), 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1080/14703297.2017.1389288
- MacDonald, A. (2020). Mathematics education beliefs and practices of Under 3s educators in Australia. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal, 28(5), 758-769. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350293X.2020.1817246
- Maulyda, M. A. (2020). Mathematics learning paradigm based on NCTM. CV IRDH.
- Monrat, N., Phaksunchai, M., & Chonchaiya, R. (2022). Developing students’ mathematical critical thinking skills using open-ended questions and activities based on student learning preferences. Education Research International, 2022, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/3300363
- Moreno-Guerrero, A.-J., Aznar-Díaz, I., Cáceres-Reche, P., & Alonso-García, S. (2020). E-learning in the teaching of mathematics: An educational experience in adult high school. Mathematics, 8(5), 840. https://doi.org/10.3390/math8050840
- Morgado, M., Mendes, J. J., & Proença, L. (2021). Online problem-based learning in clinical dental education: Students’ self-perception and motivation. Healthcare, 9(4), 420. https://doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9040420
- Muliadi, A., Prayogi, S., Bahalwan, F., Nirmala, W., & Verawati, N. N. S. P. (2021). Online learning during the Covid-19 pandemic: Preservice teacher’s perception. Jurnal Penelitian Pendidikan IPA, 7(3), 464-467. https://doi.org/10.29303/jppipa.v7i3.787
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. (2000). Principles, standards, and expectations—National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. https://www.nctm.org/Standards-and-Positions/Principles-and-Standards/Principles,-Standards,-and-Expectations/
- Nutt, P. C. (2006). Comparing public and private sector decision-making practices. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 16(2), 289-318. https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/mui041
- Onyekuru, B. U. (2015). Field dependence-field independence cognitive style, gender, career choice and academic achievement of secondary school students in Emohua local government area of Rivers State. Journal of Education and Practice, 6(10), 76-85.
- Palvia, S., Aeron, P., Gupta, P., Mahapatra, D., Parida, R., Rosner, R., & Sindhi, S. (2018). Online education: Worldwide status, challenges, trends, and implications. Journal of Global Information Technology Management, 21(4), 233-241. https://doi.org/10.1080/1097198X.2018.1542262
- Panek, P. E., Funk, L. G., & Nelson, P. K. (1980). Reliability and validity of the group embedded figures test across the life span. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 50(3_suppl), 1171-1174. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1980.50.3c.1171
- Pendlington, S. (2005). Mathematics is not easy: The importance of teaching children to struggle. Research in Mathematics Education, 7(1), 3-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/14794800008520142
- Peter, E. E. (2012). Critical thinking: Essence for teaching mathematics and mathematics problem solving skills. African Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science Research, 5(3), 39-43. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJMCSR11.161
- Pintrich, P. R., Marx, R. W., & Boyle, R. A. (1993). Beyond Cold Conceptual Change: The Role of Motivational Beliefs and Classroom Contextual Factors in the Process of Conceptual Change. Review of Educational Research, 63(2), 167-199. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543063002167
- Pithers, R. T. (2002). Cognitive learning style: A review of the field dependent-field independent approach. Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 54(1), 117-132. https://doi.org/10.1080/13636820200200191
- Portuguez-Castro, M., & Gómez-Zermeño, M. G. (2020). Challenge based learning: Innovative pedagogy for sustainability through e-learning in higher education. Sustainability, 12(10), 4063. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12104063
- Pozzi, F., Asensio-Perez, J. I., Ceregini, A., Dagnino, F. M., Dimitriadis, Y., & Earp, J. (2020). Supporting and representing Learning Design with digital tools: In between guidance and flexibility. Technology, Pedagogy and Education, 29(1), 109-128. https://doi.org/10.1080/1475939X.2020.1714708
- Prameswari, N. S., Saud, M., Amboro, J. L., & Wahyuningsih, N. (2020). The motivation of learning art & culture among students in Indonesia. Cogent Education, 7(1), 1809770. https://doi.org/10.1080/2331186X.2020.1809770
- Prayogi, S., Yuanita, L., & Wasis. (2018). Critical inquiry based learning: A model of learning to promote critical thinking among prospective teachers of physic. Journal of Turkish Science Education, 15(1), 43-56.
- Preus, B. (2012). Authentic instruction for 21st century learning: Higher order thinking in an inclusive school. American Secondary Education, 40(3), 59-79.
- Procter, L. (2020). Fostering critically reflective thinking with first-year university students: Early thoughts on implementing a reflective assessment task. Reflective Practice, 21(4), 444-457. https://doi.org/10.1080/14623943.2020.1773421
- Rayner, S., & Cools, E. (2011). Style Differences in Cognition, Learning, and Management: Theory, Research and Practice. Routledge.
- Rivera Pérez, J. F., Hart, R., & Lund, E. (2021). Vocabulary-learning cues used on children’s bilingual programming. Journal of Children and Media, 15(3), 301-319. https://doi.org/10.1080/17482798.2020.1802315
- Romero Ariza, M., Quesada Armenteros, A., & Estepa Castro, A. (2021). Promoting critical thinking through mathematics and science teacher education: The case of argumentation and graphs interpretation about climate change. European Journal of Teacher Education, 0(0), 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/02619768.2021.1961736
- Ryan, M. (2013). The pedagogical balancing act: Teaching reflection in higher education. Teaching in Higher Education, 18(2), 144-155. https://doi.org/10.1080/13562517.2012.694104
- Salamah, D. P. (2020). Analisis kesalahan berdasarkan Newman error analysis terhadap Materi Peluang Kejadian Majemuk Ditinjau dari Gender dan Self Confidence pada Siswa Kelas XII SMK di Bandung Barat. JPMI (Jurnal Pembelajaran Matematika Inovatif), 3(4), 273-284. https://doi.org/10.22460/jpmi.v3i4.p%p
- Sattarova, U., Groot, W., & Arsenijevic, J. (2021). Student and tutor satisfaction with problem-based learning in Azerbaijan. Education Sciences, 11(6), 288. https://doi.org/10.3390/educsci11060288
- Savery, J. R. (2006). Overview of problem-based learning: Deﬁnitions and distinctions. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 1(1), Article 1. https://doi.org/10.7771/1541-5015.1002
- Siburian, O., Corebima, A. D., Ibrohim, I., & Saptasari, M. (2019). The correlation between critical and creative thinking skills on cognitive learning results. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 19(81), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.14689/ejer.2019.81.6
- Sireci, S., & Faulkner-Bond, M. (2014). Validity evidence based on test content. Psicothema, 26(1), 100-107. https://doi.org/10.7334/psicothema2013.256
- Souza, A. C. de, Alexandre, N. M. C., Guirardello, E. de B., Souza, A. C. de, Alexandre, N. M. C., & Guirardello, E. de B. (2017). Psychometric properties in instruments evaluation of reliability and validity. Epidemiologia e Serviços de Saúde, 26(3), 649-659. https://doi.org/10.5123/S1679-49742017000300022
- Suhirman, S., Prayogi, S., & Asy’ari, M. (2021). Problem-based learning with character-emphasis and naturalist intelligence: Examining students critical thinking and curiosity. International Journal of Instruction, 14(2), 217-232. https://doi.org/10.29333/iji.2021.14213a
- Susandi, A. D., Sa’dijah, C., As’ari, A. R., & Susiswo. (2019). Students’ critical ability of mathematics based on cognitive styles. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1315(1), 012018. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1315/1/012018
- Syafril, S., Aini, N. R., Netriwati, Pahrudin, A., Yaumas, N. E., & Engkizar. (2020). Spirit of Mathematics Critical Thinking Skills (CTS). Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1467(1), 012069. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1467/1/012069
- Szenes, E., Tilakaratna, N., & Maton, K. (2015). The knowledge practices of critical thinking. In M. Davies & R. Barnett (Eds.), The Palgrave handbook of critical thinking in higher education (pp. 573-591). Palgrave Macmillan US. https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137378057_34
- Trostek, J. R. (2020). Between the modelling and the engineering of learning: Preservice teachers’ performance in course essays. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 44(6), 781-794. https://doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2019.1600665
- Verawati, N. N. S. P., Hikmawati, H., & Prayogi, S. (2020). The effectiveness of inquiry learning models intervened by reflective processes to promote critical thinking ability in terms of cognitive style. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (IJET), 15(16), 212. https://doi.org/10.3991/ijet.v15i16.14687
- Verawati, N. N. S. P., Hikmawati, H., Prayogi, S., & Bilad, M. R. (2021). Reflective practices in inquiry learning: Its effectiveness in training pre-service teachers’ critical thinking viewed from cognitive styles. Jurnal Pendidikan IPA Indonesia, 10(4), 505-514. https://doi.org/10.15294/jpii.v10i4.31814
- Viator, R. E., Harp, N. L., Rinaldo, S. B., & Marquardt, B. B. (2020). The mediating effect of reflective-analytic cognitive style on rational thought. Thinking & Reasoning, 26(3), 381-413. https://doi.org/10.1080/13546783.2019.1634151
- Wang, C.-C. (2021). The process of implementing problem-based learning in a teacher education programme: An exploratory case study. Cogent Education, 8(1), 1996870. https://doi.org/10.1080/2331186X.2021.1996870
- Wirkala, C., & Kuhn, D. (2011). Problem-based learning in K-12 education: Is it effective and how does it achieve its effects? American Educational Research Journal, 48(5), 1157-1186.
- Witkin, H. A., & Goodenough, D. R. (1981). Cognitive styles: Essence and origins. Field dependence and field independence. Psychological Issues, 51, 1-141.
- Witkin, H. A., Moore, C. A., Goodenough, D., & Cox, P. W. (1977). Field-dependent and field-independent cognitive styles and their educational implications. Review of Educational Research, 47(1), 1-64. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543047001001
- Wood, T., Williams, G., & McNeal, B. (2006). Children’s mathematical thinking in different classroom cultures. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 37(3), 222-255. https://doi.org/10.2307/30035059
- Yuliati, L., Fauziah, R., & Hidayat, A. (2018). Student’s critical thinking skills in authentic problem based learning. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1013, 012025. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1013/1/012025
- Zaqiah, Q. Y., Suhendar, D., & Maryani, N. (2018). Evaluation of teacher performance to quality learning in Madrasah Aliyah (A comparative study between Madrasah Aliyah model and non-model Madrasah Aliyah in West Java). Proceedings of the International Conference on Islamic Education (ICIE 2018). International Conference on Islamic Education (ICIE 2018), Bandung, Indonesia. https://doi.org/10.2991/icie-18.2018.32
How to cite this article
Evendi, E., Al Kusaeri, A. K., Pardi, M. H. H., Sucipto, L., Bayani, F., & Prayogi, S. (2022). Assessing students’ critical thinking skills viewed from cognitive style: Study on implementation of problem-based e-learning model in mathematics courses. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(7), em2129. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12161
Evendi E, Al Kusaeri AK, Pardi MHH, Sucipto L, Bayani F, Prayogi S. Assessing students’ critical thinking skills viewed from cognitive style: Study on implementation of problem-based e-learning model in mathematics courses. EURASIA J Math Sci Tech Ed. 2022;18(7):em2129. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12161
Evendi E, Al Kusaeri AK, Pardi MHH, Sucipto L, Bayani F, Prayogi S. Assessing students’ critical thinking skills viewed from cognitive style: Study on implementation of problem-based e-learning model in mathematics courses. EURASIA J Math Sci Tech Ed. 2022;18(7), em2129. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12161
Evendi, Erpin, Al Kusaeri Al Kusaeri, M. Habib Husnial Pardi, Lalu Sucipto, Faizul Bayani, and Saiful Prayogi. "Assessing students’ critical thinking skills viewed from cognitive style: Study on implementation of problem-based e-learning model in mathematics courses". Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education 2022 18 no. 7 (2022): em2129. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12161
Evendi, E., Al Kusaeri, A. K., Pardi, M. H. H., Sucipto, L., Bayani, F., and Prayogi, S. (2022). Assessing students’ critical thinking skills viewed from cognitive style: Study on implementation of problem-based e-learning model in mathematics courses. Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 18(7), em2129. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12161
Evendi, Erpin et al. "Assessing students’ critical thinking skills viewed from cognitive style: Study on implementation of problem-based e-learning model in mathematics courses". Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, vol. 18, no. 7, 2022, em2129. https://doi.org/10.29333/ejmste/12161